ob Posting: General Maintenance – NL#2321
WORK TERM: 12 month regular
RATE OF PAY: $21.92
HOURS OF WORK: 8 hours daily
PLEASE NOTE the following important instructions when applying:
1. ALL CUPE employees are eligible to apply for these positions. Positions will be filled on the following basis:
- Firstly, qualified regular employees on the basis of seniority
- Secondly, qualified casual employees in the classification on the basis of preference
- Thirdly, other qualified applicants
3. Any Applicants seeking to change classifications must meet all posted requirements for the position. Testing will be required for applicants seeking to change classifications.
4. Your resume and/or Education and Experience must clearly indicate how you meet the requirements for the positions. You can update your Education and Experience and upload your resume by clicking on the Modify Your User Account button on the Home page. Copies of all required certificates/diplomas will be required. Applicants outside the General Maintenance classification who do not include a resume and/or Education and Experience will not be considered for positions.
5. If applying for multiple positions, you must assign a preference ranking to each position for which you are applying. Your preference ranking and your seniority will determine which position you are assigned. Failure to accurately fill out your preference ranking may result in assignment to a position that is not the most preferred position available to you on the basis of your seniority. After applying for positions, click on the Active Applications button to assign your preference rankings.
6. All available General Maintenance positions, including vacancies caused by transfers to posted positions that become available (falldown positions), will be filled in this posting. Accordingly, falldown positions are posted for all Families of Schools. These positions will be filled only in the event that a falldown position becomes available. If you are interested in falldown positions, you must apply for the falldown posting for that Family of Schools and rank it in preference along with any applications you are submitting for posted positions.
Please note that these positions are subject to a Collective Agreement with CUPE Local 5050 which may be accessed at:
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- REQUIRED EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATION: Completion of a Building Environmental Systems Certificate from a recognized training institution or current classification as General Maintenance for CBVRCE.
- REQUIRED EXPERIENCE QUALIFICATION: Five years building maintenance experience.
- An Equivalent combination of training/education and experience which includes relevant training, a minimum of 10 years experience and willingness to complete the Building Environmental Systems Certificate may be considered.
- For applicants seeking a change in classification, a minimum pass mark of 60% on a classification-related test is required.
- Skill in the use of a variety of cleaning equipment, moving equipment, hand tools, and other equipment used in the maintenance of facilities.
- Ability to operate a computerized building management system.
- Ability to follow written instructions and to prepare written reports.
- Ability to work outdoors in inclement weather.
- Ability to bend, stretch, stoop, reach, climb, and move heavy objects.
- Ability to oversee and organize the work for cleaning staff
- Working knowledge of equipment, facilities, materials, methods and procedures used in facility maintenance and operation activities.
- Working Knowledge of Building HVAC Systems.
- Skill in operation of building control systems, instrumentation and related equipment.
- Ability to work at heights, to work in tight or confined spaces, to climb ladders, and to meet other physical requirements normal to building maintenance.
- Successful in passing a written and practical test
- Valid NS Class 5 Driver’s license
RESPONSIBLE TO: Immediate Supervisor
ROLE: Performs general maintenance to assigned facility or facilities.
- Perform semi-skilled maintenance, repair and construction work in the basic trades such as carpentry, plumbing and heating, painting, minor electrical, glazing, roofing and lock-smithing as required in accordance with established practices and standards;
- Provide labour, assist with maintenance, construction and demolition of school buildings and grounds in compliance with established practices and standards;
- Receive and/or pick up materials and goods from suppliers;
- Maintain accurate records of work performance through use of approved work order system;
- Responsible for assigned vehicles and equipment in compliance with established practices and standards;
- Perform duties in compliance with school, Operations Department and Board policies and procedures, including occupational health, safety, work routines, WHMIS and evacuation plans and the laws of the Province of Nova Scotia;
- Other related duties as assigned.